« Home | THE ETERNALITY OF THE BODY » | ST.CRISPIN'S DAY AND "BANDS OF BROTHERS" » | HORATIUS BONAR: A BRIEF MEMOIR » | "BUCKET-WORTHY" BOOKS » | WARFIELD ON THE CROSS » | BEING EPISCOPAL OR CONGREGATIONAL? » | LADY JANE GREY--NEW BIO BY FAITH COOK » | COLORATURA CHRISTIAN » | SAINT NELSON? » | DEVOTION TO THE LORD JESUS »

DAVID BRAINERD & TODAY'S TEENAGE BOYS

Browsing through some blogs I came across a humorous reference to Ranelda Hunsicker’s David Brainerd (Bethany House Publishers, 1999) in Kim’s The Upward Call. See her post “Through the eyes of 21st Century Boys.”

Her thirteen-year-old son is reading the book, which depicts Brainerd on the front cover with a pony tail. She notes that his first remarks about the book were: “Hey! Sweet! He has a ponytail! Why can’t I have a ponytail?”

Kim later showed the book to his eleven- year-old brother, who is also going to read the book. His comment was: “He has the word nerd in his name.”

Kim’s comment to all of this typical young adolescent male talk (how well I know this because of one in my household!) was “I don’t know if I should laugh or bang my head against the wall.” I can sympathize!