« Home | WARFIELD ON THE CROSS » | BEING EPISCOPAL OR CONGREGATIONAL? » | LADY JANE GREY--NEW BIO BY FAITH COOK » | COLORATURA CHRISTIAN » | SAINT NELSON? » | DEVOTION TO THE LORD JESUS » | DISCERNMENT ABOUT JUSTIFICATION IN THE FATHERS » | REDISCOVERING THE CHURCH FATHERS » | THE ANDREW FULLER WORKS PROJECT » | REFLECTIONS ON JAROSLAV PELIKAN'S MAGNUM OPUS, VOL... »

"BUCKET-WORTHY" BOOKS

I really appreciated Tom Ascol’s post “Bucket-worthy books” where he relates which books from his library he  stored in plastic containers in light of the impact of Hurricane Wilma. There is a poignancy to the post and a call for the rest of us to pray for our brothers and sisters in the direct path of this storm. As Tom shared, “It is an agonizing experience. Like most bibliophiles I have more books than container space. How do you decide which books are ‘bucket-worthy?’ ”

I note that Andrew Fuller’s Works found space in a bucket. As Tom said, “not because they are irreplaceable (although some of my early editions of his works would be harder to replace) but because my blood, sweat and tears mark their pages. Ditto John Gill's Body of Divinity.”

Tom concluded with an important reflection on the place of books in the Christian life: “Under God I owe much to my books. Through them I have been challenged, corrected, strengthened, rebuked, humbled, instructed and encouraged in my Christian life. The thought of losing any of them to wind or rain or storm surge saddens me. If God in His mercy and wisdom spares me that loss, I will once again be very grateful. If in His mercy and wisdom He does not, perhaps I will at least have those who are riding out the storm in buckets to help me in its aftermath.”

PS It appears that the books—and most importantly—the Ascols came through the storm safely. There are some pictures of Tom choosing which books are “bucket-worthy” on his daughter Becca’s Blog. See http://www.xanga.com/bballnpianovideogal and scroll down to the sixth, seventh and eighth pictures.