« Home | ONE NIGHT WITH THE KING » | 20 THINGS YOU SHOULD READ » | ON THE MORTIFICATION OF THE BEARD » | LINES UPON JAVA'S ILLNESS » | THE MORAL RESPONSIBILITY OF THEOLOGIANS » | THE MINISTER » | CONNECTING PRAYER AND HISTORY » | PURITANISM: THE REAL THING » | WHY HE CAME » | STUDENTS OF THE FRENCH REFORMATION »

DR BRUCE METZGER

I just heard of the death of Bruce Metzger, pre-eminent New Testament textual critic (brief account here: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--obit-metzger0214feb14,0,2607775.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey).
I heard Dr Metzger at McMaster Divinity College back in the 1970s and was deeply impressed by both his learning and his Christian demeanour. Over the years I have used a number of his books with great profit, especially those dealing with New Testament textual criticism and his superb work on the New Testament canon.
Praise the Lord for the gift of such a scholar.

I never met Dr. Metzger personally but am very grateful to our Lord for his service to the saints. Several of his books are valuable pieces of my personal library and have benefited me greatly in my understanding of the Word. I continue to use the first Greek New Testament I ever purchased, a United Bible Societies text edited by Dr. Metzger.

Praise to our Lord for this saint of God.

Post a Comment