« Home | GAMBLING, GOVERNMENT AND VIRTUE » | READING JOHN OWEN: A NEW EDITION BY KELLY KAPIC & ... » | WHAT TO READ OF THE FATHERS? » | WHY STUDY THE FATHERS? » | "TROUBLECHURCH" BROWNE » | NEW FRENCH BLOG » | BAPTISTS AND THE CONCEPT OF LIBERTY--A THOUGHT » | ONE-VOLUME HISTORY OF THE CHURCH: ADDENDUM » | A ONE-VOLUME HISTORY OF THE CHURCH » | HYPER-CALVINISM IN THE SBC »

"EVERY STEP OF MY LIFE": JAMES MURRAY'S GRASP OF REALITY

A friend recently passed on to me this fabulous quote from Simon Winchester’s life of James Murray [The Meaning of Everything, p.135, from Peter Sutcliffe, The Oxford University Press, An Informal History (1978), no page given], who was one of the editors of the standard of our beloved English language, The Oxford English Dictionary. Here is the quote:

“Murray was sustained for the rest of his life by an illusion that time, however quickly it ran out, was on his side.  For a moment in history the language had paused and come to a rest.  It could be seized and captured forever.”

This statement was made in light of the following extract from a letter that Murray wrote to Lord Bryce on December 15, 1903. Murray was sixty-six at the time:

“I think it was God’s will. In times of faith, I am sure of it. I look back & see that every step of my life has been as it were imposed upon me—not a thing of choice; and that the whole training of my life with its multifarious & irregular incursions into nearly every science & many arts, seems to have had the express purpose of fitting me to do this Dictionary …So I work on with a firm belief (at most times) that I am doing what God has fitted me for, & so made my duty; & I hope that He will strengthen me to see the end of it …But I am only an instrument, only the means that He has provided, & there is no credit due to me, except that of trying to do my duty;  Deo soli Gloria.”

Great quote. On a similar note, I highly recommend Winchester’s The Professor and the Madman, if you haven’t already read it.

I also recommend the Professor and the Madman or anything that Simon Winchester wrote. He is my favorite heathen author.

I also recommend dropping the $3000 on the OED. I got it for my 21st birthday and it is an essential tool for sermon making and paper writing.

(Maybe I will use it in my paper when you teach J. Edwards at Puritan Seminary this winter!)

Nate

See you in a few weeks. Michael H.

Post a Comment