« Home | FREE ST. GEORGE'S ON TOM NEFYN » | THE FRUIT OF OUR LIPS » | AT THE CRADLE OF THE REFORMATION » | THOMAS CHALMERS ON THE IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS OF CH... » | SEEING THE 1526 TYNDALE NEW TESTAMENT » | ADVOCATING CLOSED COMMUNION--BEING A CONSISTENT BA... » | KIRK WELLUM JOINS TBS FULL-TIME » | EVANGELICAL HISTORY NEAR BIGGLESWADE » | SPINOZA AND GOD » | SPURGEON ON KEEPING IN STEP WITH THE SPIRIT »

MONTY PYTHON'S INTERNATIONAL PHILOSOPHY!

I have always loved football, having played on teams all the way through university. And since it is very much on everyone’s mind at present—oh that England had gotten into the final! I can still remember the thrill of the 1966 win—here is a brilliantly done piece by Monty Python on a football match between the philosophers of Germany and those of Greece. It is on Cynthia Nielsen’s blog: “Monty Python’s International Philosophy”.

Michael,

I noticed your car flying the French flag in the church parking lot on Sunday; I'm not kidding. Please tell me this was a heinous act of vandalism!

That's very funny!

Darrin

What can I say? I was in the UK and I got home yesterday to be horrified by the same sight!!!

But England had been kicked out of the World Cup and so France seemed to my son to be the best of the teams left. I would have chosen Italy, of course, but it looks like they may lose to Germany.

Alison said all of her ancestors may be rolling in their graves becuase of the flag--well, her English ancestors, though not many of her Scottish ones--remember the "auld Alliance"! As for my ancestors, they were Irish and Scottish and so...

Michael.

France!?!?! Say it ain't so!

Methinks the good Principle is confusing football, a glorious sport played by Americans, with soccer, a rather monotonous sport played by everyone else in the world (it is clear Americans can't acutally play the latter).

Nathan

Well you have to be born outside of the USA to appreciate football I suppose. I have played both football (soccer as it is known here) and American style football, and I love them both.

Michael, let's hear it for 1967 - the only time the Scottish national side has beaten a reigning World Cup champion, and a victory all the sweeter for the fact that side was England ...

Well, that was a great win, and if Scotland had gotten through to the finals I would have been cheering for her.

As it was Italy won--my son's upset--but if this was the worst disapppointment in life, this would be heaven!!!

Post a Comment